Can I Claim Ownership of My Mom's Home After Caring for Her?

Not unless that was an agreement you made with your mother in advance. It’s her home, and she has no legal obligation to transfer it to you. You may, however, have a legal claim for compensation for the services you provided. This type of claim is referred to by the Latin term quantum meruit. If you assert that claim, you may be able to work out some sort of transfer. Depending on the value of the services you provided and the value of the house, this may or may not involve its complete transfer to you.

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at