Can My Father Execute a New POA If No Longer Competent?

The choice should be your father’s. I’d recommend that he meet with an elder law attorney, either along with your mother or on his own. You should not be in the room when they meet. It will be up to the attorney to determine your father’s wishes, whether he is being unduly influenced by anyone and whether he is competent to execute a new durable power of attorney.

For more on the durable power of attorney, click here.

For more on the VA's Aid and Attendance benefit, click here.