How Do I Find Out If My Dad Had Assets in Another State?

That can be difficult. The way to have legal authority to ask for information is to commence a probate action in Tennessee. You would have to give your father’s widow notice.

If you are successfully appointed as personal representative of your father’s estate, you will then have legal authority to contact banks and other financial institutions to learn about your father’s accounts. In addition, you could request copies of tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Without such an appointment, you don’t have any legal rights in this regard.

Check out the following articles for some additional insights:

Harry S. Margolis practices elder law, estate, and special needs planning in Boston and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is the founder of and answers consumer questions about estate planning issues here and at