Supportive Housing Programs Offer Integrated Solutions for People with Mental Disabilities

Since the 1960s there has been steady reformation of mental health care in the United States. One of the most visible signs of this effort is the movement away from treatment in large state mental hospitals and towards community care. But "community care" encompasses a great number of programs, from treatment provided in group homes to interaction with a social worker to job training and other vocational training centers. One of the programs on the cutting edge of community mental health is called "supportive housing," and it incorporates not only housing but social services and medical care as well.

Supportive housing was originally designed to help homeless people, many of whom suffer from mental illness, get off the streets. The main idea was that simply shifting people into a stable, non-judgmental environment creates a much better atmosphere for comprehensive mental health treatment.

According to the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, supportive housing has branched out, and now incorporates three basic, and interrelated, principles. First, supportive housing places people with mental illness in their own apartment or home, not in a group facility. Second, once a person has a home of his own, he then has access to a wide array of community based mental health services. As part of this system, assertive community treatment teams assist people with more severe forms of mental illness who may experience various crises living alone, or who require greater help with activities of daily living. Finally, supportive housing integrates people with mental illness into the community, and ensures that they will not be segregated in an environment where they live and work only with other people with mental illness.

Your city or state may have supportive housing programs. Providers of supportive housing are typically non-profit organizations that contract with federal, state or tribal governments to provide both the housing and services that were formerly provided in institutional settings. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides grants for supportive housing through an annual national competition. Local communities, non-profits, and public mental health associations are all able to submit proposals. HUD has information about supportive housing programs on its website, and the Corporation for Supportive Housing has additional information here.

This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal or estate planning advice as individual situations will vary. Neither Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., nor its registered representatives or employees, offer tax or legal advice. As with all matters of a tax or legal nature, you should consult with your tax or legal counsel for advice.

Securities and investment advisory services offered through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc. member FINRA/SIPC. Royal Alliance Associates, Inc. is separately owned and other entities and/or marketing names, products or services referenced here are independent of Royal Alliance Associates, Inc. Special needs consulting services are not offered through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc.

Content provided by the Academy of Special Needs Planners, Copyright 2021

Contact us

Questions? Contact us at Special Needs Hawaii

Special Needs Hawaii
1163 S. Beretania St | Honolulu , HI 96814
Phone: (808) 536-1933