also the “National Healthy Aging Month
The National Preparedness Month is recognized each September to raise awareness about the importance of preparing for disasters and emergencies that could happen at any time. The government campaign to prepare for disasters and emergencies is focused on natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, or other natural disasters. However, I would encourage taking that a step farther, to prepare for personal disasters or emergencies which could happen at any time, which could include a family death, incapacity, and the like. How can you do that? By making sure that you have up to date wills, trusts, healthcare powers of attorney, and financial powers of attorney. Even more than that, it would be a benefit to expand that preparedness by making sure that all of your financial accounts are up to date with beneficiary designations, if appropriate, and to make sure that you leave information for your family regarding your wishes of instructions. Finally, we recommend completing what we call a “Location Letter” which is really like an organizer, so you can let your family know where you have your accounts, investments, or other assets and who you use for your tax preparation, insurance matters, legal work, and the like.
Also, the Federal Government Health Agency recognizes September as Healthy Aging Month, to encourage and promote people to learn how to stay healthy as they age. These include such tips as:
- Make sure you and your family can get dental care when you need it.
- Make sure you and your family will have access to prescription medications when needed.
- Take advantage of offered online access to your medical records.
- Learn ways to prevent or minimize the need for emergency department visits.
- Reduce work related injuries.
- Reduce death and illness from COPD in adults.
- Reduce the misuse of prescription pain relievers.
- Reduce the overall cancer death rate.
- Reduce the lung cancer death rate.
- Plus, about 30 additional specific goals.
The idea of encouraging preparedness, and also healthy aging, is a perfect message for September, and a great message to you and your family to take concrete steps to accomplish both these goals. We look forward to helping in any way that we can.
 According to FEMA
 According to Health.gov